News

Nicole Lee Carstairs and Rodney Sudmalis face ACT court for alleged offending at Old Parliament House | The Canberra Times

news, crime, ACT, Canberra, Court, Old Parliament House, Fire

Two non-ACT residents have fronted court charged with assaulting and resisting police officers during an incident which allegedly happened at Old Parliament House two days after fire damaged its historic doors and portico during a protest. Nicole Lee Carstairs, 42, has been charged with assaulting a front-line community service provider while Rodney Sudmalis, 46, with obstructing or resisting a territory official. The pair appeared separately via audio-visual link in the ACT Magistrates Court on Sunday for bail applications when magistrate James Lawton read out their charges. They have not entered pleas and the prosecution did not oppose their applications. The court heard that on January 1, Ms Carstairs, from Glenwood near the Sunshine Coast, allegedly assaulted a detective inspector while Mr Sudmalis, from Byron Bay, allegedly hindered a constable. Their bail conditions include for them to reside at their respective Queensland and NSW addresses, as well as to not enter Parkes or be within 100 metres of Old Parliament House. They must also accept supervision of ACT Corrective Services and comply with reasonable directions, as well as report to the services’ intake office January 4. The pair are scheduled to front court again in early February. MORE COURT AND CRIME NEWS The Australian Federal Police and ACT Policing on Friday launched a joint task force to identify those suspected of being responsible for the December 31 fire. Police said footage from ACT Policing’s body-worn cameras and CCTV from Old Parliament House and surrounding premises have identified several suspects who are now subjected to questioning. Police have increased their presence at the precinct for the coming weeks. “The AFP and ACT Policing respect the right to peacefully protest, and negotiations with elders within the protest group continue,” they said. Prior to the fire damage, crowds had been gathering at the site ahead of the Aboriginal Tent Embassy’s 50th anniversary. However, the embassy and other First Nations leaders have since condemned the actions of protesters involved in the fire, saying they were not associated with the embassy. Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/130009714/e5d59cc7-f242-42c0-9a2d-50c6f17755ce.jpg/r3_267_4998_3089_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SUBSCRIBER



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

close